Learning and making small changes


This is a recent random spontaneous comic page I did. What I did differently here is that I diluted the Platinum Carbon Black ink (waterproof) in my fude fountain pen. That made the ink become grey instead of black. With grey lines instead of black, the image look softer. But with less contrast coming from the lines, I had to make sure that the watercolours gave the picture enough tonal contrast. I do like how it looks. Now I know how to achieve a softer look when I need to.

This is something I learned from my friend, Tia. We were teaching a university sketching class and she was showing me her amazing sketches. She explained that that is what she did with this sketch below.


It's just a subtle change. And maybe to most people, they won't even notice. But as an artist, I'm learning to appreciate these small little details in crafting. I find that all the small decisions and adjustments do add up and can make a big difference how the picture turns out.

I like learning new things. I like that there is so much more to explore and understand. Learning and discovering new things makes living more exciting to me.

Comments

Oscar Solis said…
Very nice. The line has almost a pencil like quality. Out of curiosity, what was the paper used? It had an interesting texture.
MiataGrrl said…
"Learning and discovering new things makes living more exciting to me." This is exactly how I feel every day.

- Tina
Tara Kate said…
I’ve been thinking about trying gray ink after seeing a video by Paul Heaston where he said he puts gray ink in a brush pen to get quick values for his sketches. A few days ago, I bought a couple of gray Micron pens in light and cool gray just to experiment with but I haven’t used them yet. With this inspiration from you, Drew, I’ll get them out and give them a try! Thanks for sharing your process with us!

Lots of best wishes from Oregon,
Tara
Andrew Tan said…
Hi Oscar, I found this stack of 100% cotton paper at an art store in Singapore. Pretty decent watercolour paper. https://overjoyed.xyz/shop/ovj-9551004012120-ovj-hollandse-cold-press-100-cotton-watercolor-paper-300gsm-a6-x-50-323084#attr=
Andrew Tan said…
Hi Tina, let's keep this up:)
Andrew Tan said…
Hi Tara, happy experimenting! With a thinner pen like a Micron and a lighter value for the ink, the lines will still have some contrast, but most of the tonal value contrast in the picture will have to come from the how you colour the picture.