Taking time to journal my thoughts (as comics)

It does take a conscious effort. First thing in the mornings, there is a habit urge to check my phone for new messages. I've been practicing putting that off until I've journaled something from my life while my mind is still fresh. Oftentimes, I'd really glad I do that. It does help me organise my thoughts and priorities before the day gets noisy and I get busy. 

Journalling (in comics) is an art in itself. I often find myself weighing how much personal details to put down and also what is beneficial to put down. So far, I've decided it's OK to put down what I'm feeling emotionally. Naming the emotions help. (I feel anxious, sad, etc). That helps me un-jumble all the emotions I could be feeling at one time. When left unattended, I feel that jumble becomes a bigger jumble. But if I'm angry or annoyed at people for certain reasons, I won't put that down, because oftentimes those are based on assessments or stories I make up in my head about those people. And those are often wrong and can change, so I don't find it beneficial to focus on them. 

When I journal it makes me focus on the thought more. So I've been using it to my advantage. When my thoughts are filled with dark, I can use journalling to focus on thoughts that are bright. And whatever I focus on becomes bigger in my mind. With comics, I'm putting words but also images. And it helps have happier images in my head. 

So below, I focus on "things I'm grateful for" and "things that make me smile". Yes, I could also focus on "things that make me annoyed" or "things that make me sad". Maybe I could try that some time? But I think that will just make those things bigger in my head and I don't want more of that, presently. There is plenty of that in the news already. For now, I could use more images in my head that are good and bright.





Comments

MiataGrrl said…
I think about these same questions all the time when I start to make a comic page. I kind of do the opposite of you... I avoid focusing on feelings, even positive ones (I focus almost completely on feelings in my written journal, so that's enough internal thinking/feeling). In my comic diary, I focus instead on sensory-based observations: things I see, hear, smell while taking walks, for example. For now, this seems to help me make images instead of write about feelings. I really appreciate when you talk about your comic-making process -- I learn so much, and you give me new things to consider.

- Tina
Roy DeLeon said…
Hello Andrew -

I enjoy and learn from your Drewscape YT channel. it inspired me to start my own comics diary. As a USk’r here in Seattle, Washington, USA - my comics diary is not into the feelings stage yet. It’s still reportage but definitely in storytelling mode.

So thanks for influencing the redirection of my mark-making addiction - and one benefit I can see is - I have all the supplies (and more) that I need to make comics till my replaced drawing shoulder falls off.

Thank you sir.
Roy
drewscape said…
Hi Tina, That's a good way to do it too. That way, one could go all out with the emotion in a written journal and the other one less internal. Keeps it neat. As I do more, I think I'm just exploring merging the two, because I do find that when I connect my deeper thoughts/emotions with the drawings, the drawing somehow becomes more valuable to me. Perhaps because it captures more of me in it. Great to know you are exploring this comic journalling too:)
drewscape said…
Hi Roy, great to connect with a Urbansketcher over there. I used to live in Pullman WA doing my college days so I do feel a connection with your area:) Yeah with comics diaries, there are always things to draw. We can draw both from imagination or observation. But daily life has an endless stream of stories, even on the most mundane days. So we can use all those art supplies we have been accumulating. Keep drawing:)