Drawing mundane (almost boring) things

Life for me seems to move really fast these days. Once I wake, I'm tempted to check my phone for new messages. And once I do that, it feels like my mind gets dragged along on a roller coaster ride for the rest of the day. To help me slow down, I did these two pages on separate occasions. Drawing mundane things trains my mind to focus on small things, similar to "stopping to smell the roses".

When I drew the parts in my car, I realised how much design went into each part. And I had a thought- I spent money paying for this car and all the parts that go into it. And I'm only noticing that I'd purchased only 8-9 years later! 


I did the same for the things in my house. And it looks like I drew the last frame at a food centre or coffeeshop.


Drawing mundane things and making them look cool can be a fun challenge in itself. I drew all these in spurts while I was going about my day, handling all the tasks and errands along the way. I like how these turned out. 

It proves to myself that, to have decent drawings in my sketchbook, I don't need to go out and hunt down a touristy scene or fascinating looking building to capture. The scenes are all around me, just where I am already. 


I drew these with a Signo Broad pen and the screen tones were added in Procreate.
 

Comments