Because it makes me feel happy

I had some pieces of wood lying around my house for quite a while now. I finally made it into a bear- a robot bear. I've very minimal experience with making things from wood, but I do like how it is in 3-D form with all those raw textures. And I can hold it, turn it around, and look at it from various angles. 

Like my drawings, I prefer to keep it loose, imperfect and hand-made. I glued the parts together with woodglue, painted it with acrylic paint. I decided to give it one eye which made it more unusual. Then I decided it'd be a robot. Instead of drawing all the panels on his body, I chose to have some in ink, pencil and some stuck on paper. It added to the texture. Is this related to drawing and illustration? I like to think of it as a painting but in a 3-D format. A 3-D art piece.

And no, I'm not thinking of mass producing or selling this. I just wanted to do this for my own pleasure, to create a little something of beauty to look at. I think, sometimes, art should just be that. Not for making money, not to gain admiration, or increase my views. Just to make something because i will feel happy looking at it. And I'm OK if no one notices. I do like how it looks like in different lighting. 

I made cats with my daughter and few years back. I don't do this often. But I still love looking at those cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdSe0ZYbTWA












Comments

MiataGrrl said…
I love this! Pure joy in its expression and execution. Like when we were all kids. I bet your kids are good role models for you. :-)
Andrew Tan said…
Yes good observation. Grown up, I sometimes feel I’ve forgotten how to just play for play itself. My kids teach me that.