April Heat

 


Just scanned this from my April 2024 sketchbook. It's been hot over here in Singapore. It's now the month of May and it's still rather crazy on some days. I drew this during a morning breakfast by myself. It's one of those short burst comics where I write and draw everything out quickly, all in one go. No pencilling or pre-planning. I find I have to be relaxed and I just write out the flow of my thoughts, quite like how I might ramble to a friend if I was having a conversation over coffee. I'd probably say something like this.

I like doing short burst comics like this because I can finish it quickly, It allows my mind to wander (I find it best to do especially in the mornings), and I feel like I'm opened and closed a unit of work in one short sitting. It makes me feel a small sense of accomplishment. 

This was drawn with a broad signo pen on brown paper. The whites were added in Photoshop.

Comments

Oscar Solis said…
I’ve been following your blog for a while now as well as watching the videos and I’ve seen that you draw fast. Is this a necessary component of your comics work? I ask because I have to draw fast or I lose interest in the drawing.
drewscape said…
Hi Oscar, that's an interesting question. I do think that drawing at a certain speed produces a looser, more carefree look. Drawing slowly will produce a neater, more controlled look. I tend to like the faster, carefree look. However, in some comics, where it calls for it, or for clients, I draw slower, to get a more neater look.

As for losing interest, yes that is another factor that I find I have to deal with too. I seem to lose interest. or my interests tends to shift, if I let it sit around for too long without completing it. Same as you, I imagine. That's why I often draw no bigger than an A4. Sometimes, I draw a page in an A5, so I can complete it in one go. Some people like to draw a page slowly but I often don't seem to want to spend so much time on it. Artists who draw for Marvel for example would draw bigger and with a lot more care, and have fantastic results. But drawing quick fits my current lifestyle with kids better:)