Something I've always tried to avoid

 

 

I've recently been attracted to painting with acrylics again, thanks to random find on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@elenaburcioa. I was reminded how nice it is to layer thicker paint on paper. I know her, but Elena seems to paint more like classical painters. Something I've always tried to avoid because it always felt so serious to me. It makes me think of my art club sessions after school on hot afternoons, doing still life and figure drawing. At that time, art that was really exciting was anime. Particularly, Macross. Not fruits on a table and someone sitting on a chair. 

But many years later, I find this reference on Pinterest. And I started painting it in acrylic. I've never tried painting still life like this in acrylic before. But the art principles about value, texture, shape, etc are the same, regardless the medium. So I found I could do it. And I really liked the painting process. There is something enjoyable and relaxing about observing where the shadows and highlights fall, adjusting the values so certain areas stand out, and trying to capture the textures on the kettle with whatever sneaky way I can. Perhaps it's a lot more fun because I'm doing this outside of class. There are no standards and grades for me to meet. It's just me, learning and figuring it out. I don't really care if it's great or not, compared other painters who paint in acrylic. It's enough that I personally like it, I'm learning and it makes me happy:) 

By the way, I drew this over some old sketches in a Moleskine sketchbook. I didn't like those sketches any more, as in, I don't have delight looking at them anymore. And painting over them is a way to give an old sketchbook new life. I was otherwise going to throw it away. Also, it also makes me feel more at ease that I'm just doing these painting practices on these "unimportant" paper. I feel more free to experiment and make mistakes. That also adds to the fun.

Comments