Sketchbook 2 & 3 (eBook)


This is a continuation of my attempt at journalling my daily life in the form of comics, continuously for over a 2 months. And I did this in 2011. I started this with Book 1 and now, this is book 2 and 3 together.

This book is NOT for you if: You are expecting a comic with polished artwork and a compelling storyline. 

But this book is for you if: You are interested to see how I was exploring ways to visually journal my daily life and scenes while on the go, and also with different art tools. You like looking at a loose sketches and are curious to see what my daily life as a freelance illustrator in 2011 looked like. Similar to book 1, I would capture scenes from direct observation, and at times, I would draw them out from memory shortly after an event happened. Although I try to weave a continuous narrative throughout the book, they read more like short journal entries rather than a polished graphic novel story. It's completely handwritten with no editing to the writing, even though my handwriting then wasn't exactly very pretty. (It has since improved.) I tried to keep this book really honest and authentic so that it serves more as a historical record of how I drew as well as how I used to live.

This eBook is available for purchase and download on my payhip site here: https://payhip.com/b/pFK5O

When you purchase this ebook, use the code "loosesketches" to get 30% off this book. Valid till 4 July 2024






Comments

Tara Kate said…
Yay! Another comic! Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing these, Drew!
drewscape said…
Thank you Tara!
Tara Kate said…
You’re welcome! My favorite part so far is when the box full of oranges broke and how you paired that with the memory of your toy cars. I laughed out loud and then got a little teary, too. Such a sweet and poignant comparison. Well done! By the way, any chance you might release your graphic novel as a digital version? Or do you have a copy left for sale?
drewscape said…
Hi Tara, did you have such a memory too? I've been meaning to talk to the publishers to release a digital version of Monsters since the hardcopies are sold out. However, I did a couple copies which you can buy through me at the same price. (https://epigrambookshop.sg/products/monsters-miracles-and-mayonnaise) Will just have to find out the standard shipping fee at the post office. Email me at andrew@drewscape.net if you want to arrange that Tara. Thanks!
Tara Kate said…
I think the reason that page of your daily comic touched me so much was that I have moments now and then when I feel like I did when I was a child. When I feel overwhelmed, especially in situations that involve mathematics (which I’m still uncomfortable with), I have a recollection of doing math problems as a child and feeling the same way. Your story reminded me of that.

Just sent you an email about the graphic novel. Yay!

Thanks again!
MiataGrrl said…
I finally finished reading books 2 and 3! Even though it's a very different time in your life from your current child-raising period, the voice is still unmistakably you. The collections are delightful and charming, especially the lead-up to the wedding. I would love to see your pencil-shaped wedding ring! :-)
Andrew Tan said…
Thanks for the feedback Tina. And for reading my stories. Yeah I shall have to reveal that sometime. I seldom wear it coz it's a little loose now (my fingers used to be fatter.) But I wear it now and then!