Comics workshop during Young Writers Lab 2024

Here are photos and comics from the comics workshop during Young Writers Lab 2024. I was teaching participants the basics for contructing a daily life journal in comics form, like the ones I do in my sketchbooks. The workshop ran two times. In each session, participants (including me) created a page of comics capturing different things that happened recently in their lives. 



























My friend, Miel, the cartoonist also joined the event!




 

Comments

MiataGrrl said…
I want to take this workshop! :-) Seriously, if you ever offered it at the USk symposium or wherever, I would take it! Your YouTube several weeks ago about making urban sketches like comic pages has thoroughly inspired me! I have been sketching in that format whenever I can lately. Thank you for sharing your ideas!

- Tina
drewscape said…
Hi Tina, That's neat. I wish I could see urban sketching comic pages by other sketchers. Sounds like you are having fun with that and I'm happy to hear that:)
MiataGrrl said…
I would love to see more urban sketchers doing this, too! Here's one I did last weekend:
https://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2024/03/ravenna-brewery-bark-brew.html
Andrew Tan said…
Hi Tina, I think you captured the dogs and people pretty well, knowing how much they move about. Also liked how you used white against the coloured paper. It does generally follow our eye flow but yes, that could be a little tighter so it's clearer which item to see next. Capturing conversations is a neat way to capture the sounds of a place. So you are in Seattle! Gosh. Long time since I've been there. Only visited once when I was studying at WSU.
MiataGrrl said…
Please keep showing and talking about your comic urban sketches... I'll be studying them from here! :-)