Quick sketches on a Sunday morning

These were drawn one weekend morning in August 2023. With a baby around who is always on the lookout to grab my pens while drawing, I have to draw fast. I decided not to bring my fountain pens as those are more fragile. Instead, I grabbed an old Deleter Neopiko-Line-3 marker I bought long ago. It's fun using pens I've not tried out for ages. It's like using a brand-new pen all over again. This pen had waterproof ink but I didn't use washes. I chose the 0.8mm size because it was broader and would give me line variation- pressing harder would give me a thicker line and drawing lightly would give me thin lines.

Anyway, my point is, it was nice using a pen I didn't have to worry about. I can just throw this into my bag, unlike a fountain pen. I drew these on loose photocopy paper and just had fun sketching what I saw in front of me that morning. There is something relaxing about using simple tools and paper. The yellow tinge? I added that digitally.



I added Japanese screen tones (digitally) here.

For these sketches, I carried them around in this old A6 sketchbook cover. Yeah, it's just the cover. I tore out the pages inside because the old drawings... I didn't like them anymore. They didn't spark joy. 


After I tore the pages out, I replaced the inside cover with a nice textured paper, cut to size and pasted in with white glue. I used the elastic band to hold loose sheets of paper. I only carry just a few sheets. I don't see the sense of carrying a whole bunch of paper when I'm only going to use 1-2 sheets when I'm out. I just bring out what I need for the day.


This is how my loose photocopy paper sits in my A6 note/sketchbook. This is just one of the books I carry around when I want to have quick sketches and take quick notes.

Comments