5-minute comic (part3)


If you had 5 minutes to do a spontaneous comic, would you have trouble deciding what to write about?

A simple way to decide on the subject is to draw from real life. I usually choose a very small moment I've experienced recently. And I record what I'm thinking or deciding at that moment. It doesn't have to be dramatic or entertaining. It can be totally mundane and boring. I'm not drawing to impress anyone. It may not mean anything to anyone, or maybe it will. But it will mean something to me. And it's usually nice looking back on these small captured moments again in the future as I can see what I've changed and how much.

Oh yes, to help keep my journalling time short, I always use a pen to draw. Not a pencil. This prevents me from erasing and trying to perfect it, which just extends the time and makes it seem like work. A big benefit of drawing with a pen is that it increases my confidence in drawing. I believe it trains my mind to stay in the moment and make every stroke count. Ok, if I do make a big glaring ugly line, I might correction fluid. But oftentimes, I just let the mistake stay. It makes the comic journal look more authentic.

In this post, I used my Black Noodle* for the lines. If you like the lines, a G-nib dip pen will give you the same results. For the colouring, which I did rather quickly, I used the AquaReal Procreate Watercolor Set again. It's one of those digital art tools that I'd buy, use a couple times, and then forget I have it. You probably do that too. But using the set again, I'm liking it more and more. It does look like real watercolour. yeah!


*The Black Noodle was an experimental pen I made at home in a batch of 5. Thank you for all the emails requesting to buy it. But I'm sorry to say that it's sold out and I'm not planning on making more because it takes too much time. For alternative flex nib pens, you could consider https://www.bluedewpens.com/ and https://www.desideratapens.com/

Comments