What do you do with old sketchbooks that have so-so drawings in them?

That's one issue I had when I was neatening up my stuff. On one hand, old sketchbooks contain a piece of my life- it's time spent on those pages. On the other hand, those old drawings didn't inspire me anymore. And I don't look forward to seeing them again a couple years later when I flip through those same books. 

This is an old Moleskine sketchbook. It had lots of old so-so sketches in them. I decided I'd use them to practice acrylic painting. Acrylic is a great option because it can cover over old drawings well. I had a scrap of loose drawing of some battle scene. So I cut it out and stuck it over some old art and then painted around that.

Not the most amazing painting, but I had fun. And I'm putting in some time practising acrylic painting. And by using old sketchbooks I'd otherwise throw away, I don't have to worry about using up "precious paper". That makes me less self-conscious when I paint. 

What do you do with old sketchbooks with so-so drawings? Send me more ideas I could try. I've turned on the blog comment functions again. Hopefully, I won't receive spam bot messages like before:)




Comments